Canada Needs a Plan Before Copenhagen
On October 21 there will be a critical vote on Bill C-311, the Copenhagen Climate Bill. Members of Parliament will have a choice: they can delay the bill, or support the swift passage of this crucial legislation.
Bill C-311 will ensure that Canada commits to science-based targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, following recommendations of the Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
We are urging MPs to vote NO to additional delays at the Environment Committee, and vote YES for the bill at Third Reading. We have waited long enough.
Members of Parliament have an historic responsibility to pass a climate plan before talks in Copenhagen.
Canada needs a climate plan before the international talks in Copenhagen.
This week, we’re asking everyone to contact MPs from the Liberal Party before the vote on October 21. Congratulate them for recent announcements supporting renewable energy. Now we need action. Ask them to vote against extending the time for Bill C-311 in committee. Urge Members of Parliament to join together to expedite passage of this crucial legislation. For contact information, visit the Parliament of Canada web site and the list below.
Here’s a list of some key Liberal MPs – ask them to support the swift passage of the Copenhagen Climate Bill. No more delays!
- Michael Ignatieff (Opposition Leader, MP Etobicoke-Lakeshore), IgnatM@parl.gc.ca, (613) 995-9364, (416) 251-5510
- David McGuinty (Environment and Energy Critic, MP Ottawa South), McGuiDa@parl.gc.ca, (613) 992-3269, (613) 990-8640
- Francis Scarpaleggia (Member of the Environment Committee, MP Lac-Saint-Louis), ScarpF@parl.gc.ca, (613) 995-8281, (514) 695-6661
- Justin Trudeau (Member of the Environment Committee, MP Papineau), Trudeau.J@parl.gc.ca, (613) 995-8872, (514) 277-6020
- Hon. Bob Rae (Foreign Affairs Critic, MP Toronto Centre), RaeB@parl.gc.ca, (613) 992-5234, (416) 954-2222
- Hon. Carolyn Bennett (Health Critic, MP St. Paul’s), BenneC@parl.gc.ca, (613) 995-9666, (416) 952-3990
- Marc Garneau (Industry, Science and Technology Critic, MP Westmount-Ville-Marie), Garneau.M@parl.gc.ca, (613) 996-7267, (514) 283-2013
- Hon. Geoff Regan (Natural Resources Critic, MP Halifax West), ReganG@parl.gc.ca, (613) 996-3085, (902) 426-2217
- Hon. Scott Brison (International Trade Critic, MP Kings-Hants), BrisoS@parl.gc.ca, (613) 995-8231, (902) 542-4010
- Martha Hall Findlay (Critic for Public Works and Government Services, MP Willowdale), HallM@parl.gc.ca, (613) 992-4964, (416) 223-2858
- Hon. Larry Bagnell (Critic for Arctic Issues and Northern Development, MP Yukon), BagneLL@parl.gc.ca, (613) 995-9368, (867) 668-6565
- Gerard Kennedy (Critic for Infrastructure, Communities and Cities, MP Parkdale-High Park), Kennedy.G@parl.gc.ca, (613) 992-2936, (416) 769-5072
- Hon. Gerry Byrne (Fisheries and Oceans Critic, MP Humber-St. Barbe-Baie Verte), ByrneG@parl.gc.ca, (613) 996-5511, (709) 637-4540
- Hon. Wayne Easter (Critic for Agriculture, MP Malpeque), EasteW@parl.gc.ca, (613) 992-2406, (902) 964-2428