MEC Bikefest Toronto
June 23, 2012 at the Distillery Historic District
11:00am to 5:30pm
About MEC Bikefest
MEC Bikefest is a daylong community celebration of all things bicycle related. Our goal is to bring together Toronto’s bicycle community and those new to bikes, to celebrate the wonders of cycling. Come join us and make it the best bicycle bash in Toronto.
This free event has something for everyone, so bring the whole family down to the sweetest cycling celebration of the summer. Workshops and clinics are $5 each with proceeds being donated to our community partner, Cycle Toronto (formerly the Toronto Cyclists Union). Group Rides are free, however registration is required as space is limited.
Our online registration is now closed, but there are still available spots in many courses. Please sign-up at the MEC Bikefest registration booth the day of the event.
Along with fun and festivities, MEC Bikefest is a hub of knowledge where cyclists new and old can make connections and get the information they need to pursue their passion. Proceeds from this event will be donated to our non-profit partner, the Cycle Toronto.
MEC Bikefest Toronto features activities for cyclists of all skill levels, including:
- Dozens of bike clinics and seminars (presented by MEC, Urbane Cyclist and Hardwood Ski & Bike)
- Bike demos
- Free bicycle safety checks
- Bike valet parking (provided by Cycle Toronto, formerly the Toronto Cyclists Union)
- Free basic repairs and tune-ups (provided by Bike Chain, Bike Pirates, Bike Sauce, Community Bicycle Network and Evergreen Bike Works)
- MEC Bikefest Bike and Gear Swap
- MEC Marketplace
- Local bicycle retailers and exhibitor booths
- Community and cycling advocacy information
- Free drop-in activities for kids
MEC Bikefest Toronto happens downtown in the Distillery Historic District, on Parliament and Mill Street. Ride your bike to the festival – there will be bike valet parking on site. If you are driving, there is ample pay parking available on streets in the area.
You don’t need your own bike to take part in MEC Bikefest – there will be lots of demo bikes available. Even kids will find bikes to ride at the Kids’ Bike Station. However, for some of our clinics and all of our rides you will need to have your own bike and helmet to participate. Want to participate in a clinic or ride but don’t have your own bike? Contact us directly and we will try to find a bike to accommodate you.
MEC Bikefest happens rain or shine so please dress for the weather. Be prepared for both warm temperatures and rain. Food and snacks will be available for purchase, or you are welcome to bring your own. And don’t forget your water bottle.
Participation in MEC Bikefest Toronto is free and open to all ages and skill levels. You must pre-register for workshops, clinics and group rides. Workshops and clinics are just $5 each, and rides are free but have limited space.
MEC Bike Swap
Similar to MEC Gear Swap events, MEC Bike Swap provides a place to sell your previously ridden bikes and used cycling gear. We can supply the table – you supply the gear.
- To sell or swap bikes or cycling gear, you can book a table prior to the event. Members must host their own tables and are responsible for selling their own goods.
- What can be sold? Individuals and vendors may sell used, demo, seconds, or sample gear and/or bikes. Retailers may sell used rental equipment or other gear. No current or old stock is to be sold at Bike Swap.
- MEC provides the space and one table per booth. Booth holders bring all other necessary materials, float, chairs, and provide their own staff for the duration of the event.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
MEC Bikefest Toronto is proud to an “upcycling” depot in support of local community groups and companies.
Used helmet collection
MEA Forensic will be collecting old helmets for testing purposes. Donate your used helmet and receive a free water bottle.
“Break Up With Your Backpack”
Bring your old backpack to MEC Bikefest and exchange it and purchase a new Timbuk2 messenger bag for $40. Your old bag will be donated to local charities.
Donate your bikes and bike parts
Donate your used bike or bike parts to local community groups, like Bike Pirates, Bicycles for Humanity and more.
This year’s confirmed exhibitor registrants and supporters include:
- Adventure Travel Company
- Bamboo Bike Studio
- Bicycles for Humanity
- The Big Wild
- Bike Chain
- Bike Pirates
- Bike Sauce
- Bikes Without Borders
- Bixi Toronto
- Broom Wagon Cyclery
- Bullfrog Power
- ChocoSol Traders
- Community Bicycle Network
- Cycle Toronto, formerly the Toronto Cyclists Union
- Downtown Fine Cars
- Evergreen Brick Works
- Friends for Life Bike Rally
- Get Out There Mag
- Hardwood Ski & Bike
- ING Direct
- International Mountain Bike Association
- Keen Footwear Canada
- Le Tour de Terra Cotta
- MEA Forensic
- MS Bike Tours
- Outpost Magazine
- Messenger Bags by PushTheEnvelope
- Sergio Travels the World
- Tail Wags Helmet Covers Inc.
- Timex Watches
- Toronto Bicycle Network
- Totem Bags
- Ontario Cycle Tourism Information Centre by Transportation Options
- Two Wheels Green Delivery
- Urbane Cyclist
- Vintage CCM
- Wilderness Medical Associates International
- YNOT Cycle
Who to contact
For information, to volunteer, or to become an exhibitor, please contact:
Eric Clifford or Diana Kuzmina