March Against Monsanto: Oct 12, 2pm
Submitted by Shaima Al-Khalili on Tue, 2013-09-17 13:16
- Saturday, October 12, 2013
- 2:00pm until 5:00pm
Hello Toronto friends and allies!
Thank you for joining the MARCH AGAINST MONSANTO - TORONTO on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2013, in Queen’s Park!
The first MARCH AGAINST MONSANTO occurred May 25, 2013, with over two million people across the globe (and 2,000+ in Toronto) taking action against Monsanto. More importantly, this truly historic moment showed the world that we were a huge, strong, and concerned group united in reclaiming our food supply!
In conjunction with WORLD FOOD DAY (http://www.worldfooddaycanada.ca/) and
Dr. Vandana Shiva’s SEED & FOOD FREEDOM campaign (https://www.facebook.com/savetheseed), the Oct. 12 MARCH AGAINST MONSANTO is a global call to action aimed at informing the public and calling into question long-term health and environmental effects of genetically modified foods. If you’re new to the cause, welcome and don’t miss this empowering opportunity to raise your voice in solidarity with millions around the globe fighting the corporations who are threatening our farmers, our health, our children and our planet!
WHY WE MARCH?
- Boycott GMOs
- Demand GMO labeling
- End patents on seed
- Protect our food supply
- Support local farmers
- Promote organic solutions & a sustainable agriculture
- Expose the cronyism between big business & government
- Bring accountability to those responsible for the corruption
- Demand regulatory modernization of the Novel Foods Act
- Further scientific research on the health effects of GMOs
We will gather in Queen’s Park for an energy-charged, family-friendly rally from 2 p.m. to approx. 3:30 p.m. with high-profile speakers, musicians and tables from organic food vendors and like-minded organizations (i.e. Toronto Seed Library).
Following the rally, from Queen’s Park we will head East on Wellesley St. -- South on Yonge Street to Dundas Street W. where we will continue to make our voices heard in Dundas Square
Guests to Include:
✭ Dr. Shiv Chopra
✭ Jodi Koberinski, Exec. Director, Organic Council of Ontario
✭ Julie Daniluk, author, TV show host, nutritionist
✭ MP Craig Scott, NDP Toronto-Danforth
✭ Rachel Parent, 14-yr-old GMO activist and founder, Kids Right to Know
✭ Michael Schmidt, Ontario dairy farmer and raw milk advocate
✭ Melissa Baehr, Ontario organic farmer
✭ Tony McQuail, Ontario organic farmer
Additional guests and musicians to be announced soon!
LOCATION & PARKING
WHAT CAN YOU DO BEFORE OCT. 12?
- Initiate discussions with your neighbors, friends and families about GMOs and Monsanto. Invite them to the march; start work on a creative costume; find a red T-shirt or order a great one with a message; and of course, start making your signs!
- Support Toronto's march…please donate as much or as little as you can and please share this link http://www.gofundme.com/43d5p8
- Volunteer. If you would like to have a table at the rally, contribute an organic food product, share valuable connections, donate advertising & promotion services or work at the actual March, please email us at: MillionsAgainstMonsantoToronto@gmail.com
THANK YOU and remember, we have the power!
Jennifer, James, Kristen, Ramzi & Johan
Millions Against Monsanto Toronto