Sierra Club Canada - Current Campaigns
- Nuclear-Free Canada
- Climate Change
- Help Bruno Protect the Churchill River
- Action Grizzly Bear
- Stop Castle Logging
- Bin Talk Ottawa
- Chemicals and Cosmetics
- Help Save Alberta’s Woodland Caribou
- Tell the Harper gov't to fix its limp, ineffective coal regulations!
- Trade and Environment
There are many coincidences in life. Every day - in a world with billions of things happening - there are bound to be events that just seem to be related. There are also deliberate acts that seem to be coincidence.
As consumers of news it’s our job to read between the lines and decide for ourselves what’s coincidence and what’s deliberate.
Two things happened yesterday:
1) Hundreds of lab-coated scientists marched on Parliament Hill proclaiming the death of evidence (a nice play on the Death of Innocence because there really has been a change in Ottawa where facts and figures no longer play a role in policy formulation); and
2) The Harper government announced Health Canada would study the (already well-studied) health effects of living near wind turbines.... Read more »
JUNE 4, 2012
In the three weeks since the #BlackOutSpeakOut campaign was launched by Canada’s leading environmental groups (Sierra Club Canada, CAPE, CPAWS, David Suzuki Foundation, Ecojustice, Environmental Defence, Equiterre, Greenpeace, Nature Canada, Pembina Institute, West Coast Environmental Law and WWF Canada) tens of thousands of Canadians from coast-to-coast-to-coast have joined us!... Read more »
OTTAWA - Canadian courts should order Chevron to hand over its Canadian assets to compensate Ecuadorian villagers for the toxic legacy they are forced to live with as a result of the cost cutting polluting practices of the company. This court action comes just the Canadian government is attempting to gut environmental laws.
“We have launched #BlackOutSpeakOut because Environmental laws are essential to protect public health and the environment. Without them companies like Chevron will leave a toxic legacy for our children,” said John Bennett, Executive Director of Sierra Club Canada.
... Read more »
Submission to the Senate Committee on Energy
Re: Bill C-38
John Bennett, Executive Director
Sierra Club Canada
Thursday, May 31 201
... Read more »
We are just a week away from #BlackOutSpeakOut day (June 4th). I can tell you the campaign momentum is building! The list of participating organizations is over 100 and growing! Maude Barlow just told me The Council of Canadians is also joining the protest. All across the country Canadians are recognizing that silence is not an option in face of the war on nature and democracy.
This week here in Ottawa we have two events:
Event #1:... Read more »