Each year we have an AGM so members can get a report on our activities, review our financial statements, elect board members, and appoint our auditors. Everyone is welcome to attend the meeting in-person or by conference call.
You can download the agenda for this year's AGM, and all supporting documents below.
Please remember, if you are unable to make it to Ottawa for the meeting, in order to participate you must forward a proxy (available for download below) to our National Office, located at 1510 One Nicholas St., Ottawa ON K1N 7B7. Alternatively, anyone attending the meeting may also bring your proxy with him/her to vote on your behalf.
Please note: bios for this year's board nominees will be available on this page shortly.
Further details about the AGM are available below.
|Special Resolution name and Spec Provisions final rev Oct 23 15.pdf||190.09 KB|
|2014.12.13 AGM Minutes and Attendance Sheet.pdf||113.4 KB|
|Sierra Club of Canada Foundation 2014 audited financial statements (final).pdf||442.5 KB|
|Proxy for SCCF AGM 2015.pdf||330.37 KB|
Government legislation limits voting to those present in the room. If you cannot make it to Ottawa, you can forward the attached proxy form to our National Office, located at 1510 One Nicholas St., Ottawa ON K1N 7B7. If you have any issues viewing or downloading the attachment, please contact Aneta at email@example.com and she will send you a copy. You can appoint anyone you know will be attending as your proxy. Feel free to name Diane Beckett, our Interim Executive Director, as your proxy.
You may send in your proxy by mail. Anyone attending the meeting may also bring it with him or her to vote on your behalf.
We are still looking for candidates to serve on the Board. In particular, we are looking for a representative for the Prairie Region. If you wish to put forth your candidacy or have questions about serving on the board, please contact Jeremy at c/o firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to regular business, the membership will also approve changes to the Letters Patent to formally change the name to Sierra Club Canada Foundation from Sierra Club of Canada Foundation. Also, the by-laws and the Letters Patent will be amended to authorize member meetings outside of the province of Ontario.
The Foundation is also recommending updating the purposes of the corporation to bring it in line with the transitioning of program work from Sierra Club Canada to the Foundation. Subject to pre-approval by the CRA, the new objects for membership approval will read:
To protect the environment, for the public benefit, by undertaking programs:
- (a) to preserve, protect, restore and improve the physical and natural environment, including the air, land, water, and the earth’s flora and fauna, in both natural and urban environments;
(b) to reduce, mitigate and adapt to climate change and its effect; and
(c) to uphold the administration and enforcement of existing laws applicable in Canada for the protection of the environment in Canada, through the use of legal proceedings to obtain remedies through the courts, tribunals or agencies with jurisdiction;
- To educate and increase the public’s understanding of the environment and its importance by offering courses, seminars, conferences and meetings and by collecting and disseminating information on that topic;
- To advance the education of the public and interested parties by conducting research relating to the environment and publicly disseminating the results of such research;
- To relieve the financial need and suffering among victims of natural disasters in the form of reconstruction aid and initial relief for victims internationally, including the removal of the unwanted after-effects of disaster (such as rubble), the reconstruction of key community buildings and facilities, and the implementation of measures to mitigate the risk of future natural disasters; and
- To receive and maintain a fund or funds and to apply all or part of the principal and income therefrom, from time to time, to charitable organizations that are also registered charities under the Income Tax Act (Canada).
You must be a member in order to run for the board, attend the meeting/vote, or appoint a proxy to attend in your place. If your membership has expired and you would like to participate, please renew your membership at your earliest convenience. If you’re not sure of your current status, please email email@example.com. You can join online at www.sierraclub.ca, or call the office at 1-888-810-4204 to arrange payment by credit card or cheque.
If you would like to participate by conference call, please contact Aneta at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.