Sierra Club Canada and the Ontario Chapter submitted a detailed report on the Pickering Nuclear Station request for permit extension. Our research has turned up a good argument for immediate closure of the plant - certainly not operating it beyond its own planned obsolescence.
Ontario’s oldest nuclear plant pleads its case this week for a few more years of active life.
But nuclear skeptics say it’s time to bring down the axe on the Pickering nuclear station.
It’s an old debate that pits hardened nuclear campaigners such as Greenpeace against low-profile supporters such as the Pickering Soccer Club.
It comes to a head because the Pickering station’s operating license runs out this year. But Ontario Power Generation, which owns and operates the plant, wants to keep the station running until about 2020.
The company wants to continue the operation without doing an environmental impact assessment, and without performing a major overhaul of the aging station.
Sierra Club Canada and the Ontario Chapter have submitted a detailed report on the Pickering Nuclear Station request for permit extension to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission. Our research has identified several reasons why closure of the plant should begin immediately.
On Wednesday, November 20, 2013, there will be an important public meeting in the city of London concerning the Kincardine Nuclear Wastedump. The meeting is from 7:00-9:00pm and will be held in Wolf Performance Hall at the Central Library Downtown London, 251 Dundas St. For more information please contact London City Councilors: Joni Baechler, or Bud Polhill (519) 661-5095. See poster for details.
Thanks to community pressure, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) will be holding a public meeting December 10-11 in Toronto to specially review the operation of GE-Hitachi’s 1025 Lansdowne Ave nuclear fuel processing plant. The meeting will be held at the Holiday Inn Yorkdale, at 3450 Dufferin Street. The plant processes yellowcake uranium powder from Saskatchewan into nuclear fuel pellets used in CANDU reactors.