The Sierra Club of Canada Foundation (SCCF) is committed to empowering people to be leaders in protecting, restoring and enjoying healthy and safe ecosystems. We are seeking to hire a Financial Manager who cares about the work we do and who is a great fit for our culture and team. If you are passionate about the environment and want to join a dedicated team of staff and volunteers working together to achieve our mission, then we want to hear from you.
As Financial Manager, you will play a leadership role in the growth of our organization, and uphold the highest financial management practices and accountability for the organization. Reporting to the National Operations Director, you will oversee all aspects of full-cycle bookkeeping, and provide accurate and timely financial reports.
Responsibilities and Scope
You will provide leadership and support in all aspects of financial management and reporting. Including, but not limited to.
- Oversee all aspects of full-cycle bookkeeping – including but not limited to, administration of bi-weekly payroll and benefits management, accounts payable, bank, and credit card reconciliations
- Monthly management, reporting, and statement preparation of all deferred fund balances
- Manage month-end and year-end close processes
- Prepare and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Quarterly meetings with Finance Committee and ongoing support to Treasurer
- Collaborate with all departments for the preparation of the annual budget and budget-to-actual analysis
- Support program leads in grant applications with budget preparation and final reporting on use of funds
- Collaborate with all departments for the preparation and management of cash flow documentation
- Provide technical support and advice to the management team
- Preparation of year-end working papers for annual audit with continued support to accountants
- Annual GST/PST Not for Profit filing
- Ensure compliance with accounting policies and regulatory requirements
- Preparation of annual T4A’s for subcontractors
Skills, Competencies & Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years accounting in full cycle bookkeeping and financial management required
- Minimum 2 years fund accounting experience required
- Strong abilities in Excel
- Knowledge of Sage is helpful
- Strong ability to analyze financial data and prepare ad-hoc financial reports, statements and projections as needed
- Ability to prioritize and successfully manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills to work within a team environment and support all levels of employees, management and Board of Directors
- Self-starter who can work independently and, on several tasks/projects simultaneously
- Take initiative in identifying and resolving problems in a timely and effective manner
- Knowledge of environmental issues helpful but not required
- Bi-lingual English French an asset but not required
- 30 hours/week employment at $28 to $32/hr, based on experience
- Annual professional development options
- Benefits including vision, dental and extended medical
- Outstanding vacation policy
- Paid leave over Christmas
- Flexibility to work virtually from home with the ability to access our Ottawa office beneficial but not required
- Strong team support and camaraderie
Does this sound like you? If so, we welcome your application!
The deadline for applications is April 29, 2022.
Please email a cover letter and resume as a single document to email@example.com.
Your cover letter should:
- Outline your relevant experience specific to this position.
Explain why you are excited to join our team.
- Demonstrate how your approach will help SCCF fulfill its mission.
As part of the application process, we will be requiring selected candidates to carry out sample tasks to demonstrate their aptitude for the position
The Sierra Club Canada Foundation (SCCF) is a national registered charity that includes four chapters: Atlantic, Québec, Ontario, and Prairie, plus the Sierra Youth Coalition. At our heart, we are a grassroots organization with a “think globally, act locally” philosophy. Working with a strong volunteer base and collaboratively with other organizations has allowed us to successfully engage in a range of environmental activities that directly benefit both people and the planet. We are focussed on getting children and youth outside exploring nature, championing environmental justice, advocating for urgent and community-supported solutions to climate change, reducing plastics pollution, and protecting nature and wildlife.
SCCF is committed to inclusivity, equity, and diversity within our community. We seek to hire talent with a range of life experiences and perspectives, recognizing that our mission-driven work is best advanced by the contributions of people of all genders with diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. We encourage applicants from all ages, cultures, races, religions, colours, sexual orientation, gender identities or expressions, disability statuses, nationalities, or other statuses protected by law. If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All information relating to accommodation needs will be addressed confidentially.