Wild Child Forest School: Hiring Assistant Leaders
Full Time Summer Staff Positions (2 positions available)
We are looking for someone magical with children to help deliver PEI’s first forest school program in Charlottetown. Our ideal candidate would love being outside in all weathers and enjoys playing with kids, with an eye for safety and risk management.
About Sierra Club Canada Foundation
Sierra Club Canada Foundation empowers people to protect, restore and enjoy a healthy and safe planet. SCCF’s objective is to protect and restore the health of the natural environment, including communities, by empowering Sierra Club members and its citizens through education and action.
Sierra Club Canada Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Wild Child Forest School is a project of Sierra Club Canada Foundation that provides child led, play-based learning through repeated exposure to nature. At forest school we empower children to take the lead on their learning in a natural setting over time, which may mean getting wet, dirty, making stuff with tools, and learn to extend their limits in a thoughtful and intentional way.
Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of the staffing team, you will:
- Contribute to the development & delivery Wild Child Forest School programming with the local PEI Wild Child Projects Coordinator
- Support the development of a child’s ability to navigate risks
- Mediate conflicts between participants maintaining dignity and respect for everyone involved
- Ensure proper protocols and Safe Work Practices are enacted
- Foster curiosity and excitement about nature
- Maintain session notes and contributions to social media platforms
In order to qualify for a position, we would like for you to have:
- Some post-secondary training in a relevant area (Early Childhood Education, Science, Psychology, Education, etc.) or sufficient qualifying experience
- Be an excellent communicator and team player
- Have previous experience working with children
- Love of nature and being outside in it
- Have a positive fun attitude, yet professional approach.
Applicants must also be prepared to provide a clean Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screen and a clear Child Abuse Registry Search.
Valid First Aid with AED/CPR-C or Wilderness First Aid would be considered an asset.
Dates and Times of Work:
There are two positions available:
- Forest School Leader Position—Summer: This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs, so candidates must be between 15 and 30 years old. This position will be 9 weeks, 40hrs/wk from July 2 to August 30, Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- Forest School Leader Position: This position will hopefully be funded through the Post Secondary program, so candidates must have graduated high school with the intention to start PS studies in September, or enrolled full time in PS studies, with intention of returning back to school in September. This position with 10 to 14 weeks (part-time in the spring and full time in the summer).
Remuneration: $13/hr or more based on experience.
Due Date: March 29th, or until positions are filled.
Questions regarding the position can be directed to email@example.com, or 902-940-2263.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your education, experience and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.